Whew, we made it through through another wall treatment project! And this one might be my favorite yet.
Rewind back to last weekend, when we began the project assuming it would be complete the next day (yeah right). This is where we were at on Sunday:
So yesterday we (well, more like just me) got back to work. The final two boards went in and it was time to patch all the holes and seams. This is normally the most annoying part because not everything fits together perfectly because the walls are never straight. So I took my time and did my best, using putty on all the hail holes and wood-to-wood seams, and caulk where the boards met the wall:
Then it was just hours of sanding and trying to make everything even and seamless.
After the sanding, while I was letting the caulk dry, it was time to paint.
I was forced to repaint the entire top half because there were some imperfections where the wall met the trim from the first time it was painted, and we ran out of the original paint color. So I picked up a quart of Valspar’s Magic Spell (the original paint was color matched to this) and crossed my fingers that the paint would be an exact match…
But alas, it was not. The real Magic Spell is the slightly lighter/greyer shade on the right. It didn’t take long, however, and pretty soon I was ready to paint the bottom.
After about 10 coats (seriously) of Behr’s paint + primer…
It was done!
Oh, and if you were wondering how we solved this PITA situation…
Let’s just say it took some sculpting skills, but I think I remedied the situation pretty well (for an amateur)
We still need to add the base shoe and grout the tile area so ignore the gnarliness at the bottom as it will be covered.
Anyway, back to the reveal!
Here’s the foyer freshly painted and ready to be re-accessorized:
Before I show the final after… let’s take a quick trip down memory lane to the Original Before:
|Metallic floral wallpaper… gotta love it.|
And now, the After:
The wall tiles are from Amazon.
I purchased the light from Overstock, but it’s no longer available (see more on that here).
The hooks were purchased at either HD or Lowe’s (can’t remember which, sorry!)
A COMPLETE HOUSE SOURCE LIST (including paint colors) can be found here!
There will still be one more After in this foyer’s transformation, when we replace the glass with a solid frosted panel. Not sure when we’ll go ahead and pull the trigger on that, but it’s in the works.
And that does it for this weekend! I’m quite excited about next weekends project… it’s sitting in the garage right now:
Ahhh… it’s the pedastal table I’ve been dreaming about for months and months. We’ll finally be able to fill this empty hole in our dining area….