Do you remember a month ago when I transformed these black-brown Hemnes nightstands from this:
This included the long and tedious process of taping around the perimeter of the dark wood, then retaping paper towels on to be extra safe.
Step 3: Primer everything
|I think it looks better already!|
I used 4 coats of primer to cover completely. Probably could have gotten away with 3, but I didn’t want to take any chances.
Step 4: Apply paint
I did not take pics of this step. Just visualize a white dresser and drawers… much like the primered version. I used 2-3 coats to fully cover.
Step 5: Lightly sand.
I also chose not to take pics of this because you can’t really see the detail. I had used a foam roller to apply all of the paint and wasn’t entirely happy with the subtle orange-peel texture. I used 220 grit and my electric sander to do the job. This is the first time I’ve sanded after painting and I think it is the secret to a smooth finish.
Step 6: Distress.
This is always the most exciting part… probably because it’s instant results (unlike primer/painting/poly-ing). I just grabbed a square of rough sandpaper and went to work along all the edges and corners.
Step 7: Apply first coat of poly.
Again, no pictures because it’s hard to really see. I used Minwax’s water-based Polycrylic (same as on the nightstands, it’s pretty good stuff).
Step 8: Lightly sand again.
The instructions on the poly say to sand in between coats (which I skipped on the nightstands out of laziness), but this time I did as instructed, but just to the top of the dresser to make sure the finish was as smooth as possible.
Step 9: Apply coat #2 of poly, sand more, and apply last coat of poly.
Ok, so I combined a few steps here but this was getting too long …. so finally,
Step 10: Reattach hardware (I love the knobs the dresser came with, so I kept em)
And here is what my 3 (well, technically 2) days of hard work got me…
What do you think? Better than the black? I feel like a weight has been lifted in the room… it’s so much brighter and happier now (or maybe I just am)… either way, well worth it! I think I’ll sleep better tonight 🙂
Moving along… I’m officially hopping on this bandwagon:
This particular pin and caught my eye a while back and I thought it was pretty genius:
Anyway, a little while ago I was strolling through the aisles of Target and noticed this vase on the clearance rack:
Not exactly my style…. but check out this price:
Um…. I don’t care how fug this thing is if I’m saving $35. Nicely done, Target.
So I took it home and sat it in the corner, knowing I’d figure out some way to jazz it up. Then I remembered that pinterest project and I did a small happy dance.
Since I was already going to go through the process, I found a couple other items I could use for my project. Like a random aqua vase I’ve had since highschool and a bottle of wine I polished off the night before.
Sure, these will work.
Next I came up with a plan for the pattern. I didn’t trust myself to freehand this, so I made a different look for each and traced some guides with paper and tape:
|Actually, I lied. I freehanded this one. Mad skills.|
After my templates were drawn, I headed to Michaels to pick up some puffy paint and matte spraypaint ($7 after a 50% off coupon). I came home with the goods and carefully applied the paint… one dot at a time.
And here they are, all dotted up and ready for paint!
Here they are in the spray paint chamber, mid-coverage:
and after several coats:
And here they are, all pretty in the light:
I used flat spray paint, but I’m considering grabbing some satin and going over them once or twice because the texture is a bit chalky and weird up close. But from afar, I heart them. Especially for a total investment of around $12. Thank you pinterest!
That is all for this week. I’m still on the months long, never-ending hunt for a craigslist dining table… cross your fingers it happens this week. If not, I’ll find something else to tackle… as always 🙂