The current state of our kitchen:
With the shelf installation out of the way, it was time to prep for sanding.
We removed all of the doors and brought them into the garage where we set up our workstation:
Then we carefully taped around the tile and walls:
To spare you the mundane details of everything, we’re following John & Sherry’s instructions for this process. Luckily, they’ve done all the research for us, so all we have to do is go through the steps and hope it works.
Here is a super condensed recap:
We spent the rest of Saturday patching holes and sanding (using 60 grit first, then 220 to smooth). Sunday morning we finished the last bit of sanding and wiped everything down with deglosser.
Then we primed using Zinsser’s Cover Stain (oil based in the gold can).
One thin coat of primer on every surface did the trick.
We managed to get all of the priming done on Sunday, so this morning it was straight to painting. I picked up a gallon of Benjamin Moore’s Advance line, in off the shelf bright white. For our application, we used a high quality 2″ angled brush and a skinny roller (both recommended by the BM paint salesman). Grand total for paint supplies: $62.
Coat #1 is still drying, so I’ll have to wait until tomorrow for coat #2 (the paint can says 16 hours between coats). Since each side of the cabinets will need two coats (at least), the paint alone will be a four day long process—not including any touch ups. Then we have to wait 3 days for it to cure.
After going back and forth between oil rubbed bronze and brushed nickel a thousand times, I finally opted for the nickel. This is because a) the sink and faucet are both silver, and b) our hinges will be silver. As much as I die for ORB, it just wasn’t in the cards this time.
I also got a killer deal…
That’s 16 handles in all, and the grand total came to $78.66 after I used my ebay bucks certificate. Not too shabby! The reason they are all different sizes is because we have 5 different sized doors/drawers, so I figured it would be best if the handles were proportionate to the door size rather than consistent across the board.
As for the hinges, we’re ditching the old exposed suckers and going with concealed soft-close babies. We did some research and found that you had to route a hole into the cabinet for the concealed type hinges, which is something we were neither capable of nor comfortable doing, so we called up our handyman (the one who built the bar cabinet and our shelves) and he said he’d take care of all of the hinges and installation for $325. Well worth it to us—I bet you won’t be able to tell these cabinets were from 1992 by the time we’re done.
So that’s about all of the pictures and words I have for tonight. Our hard work and living in this mess has definitely been worth it—I’m loving the results so far.
The primer told me it loved me too.