I spent my weekends growing up in the garage with my dad while he was building furniture. Somehow, up until this weekend, I’ve managed to never use an electric saw or nail gun. But yesterday I decided to break them both out of their packages and complete not one, but two wood framing projects simultaneously, despite my lack of knowledge/experience. How hard could it be…. right? Well the answer is, not entirely, you just need to follow a few rules that I found out the hard way. Here’s what went down, and the lessons I learned (after over 40 miles of hardware store trips).
Framing a Map
The first step, of course, was measuring. So I took my measurements (70″ long by 48″ tall), and went to Home Depot to find some trim. The trim had to be flush against the wall on both edges, so crown molding was out. I settled on some lovely corrugated-type trim (sorry, I forgot the technical term) that I thought would bring a bit of interest to the piece. I made the rough cuts at Home Depot and brought it all home.
Here’s our lovely saw in action:
After making my first cut, I immediately realized that I forgot to account for the extra length needed when making 45 degree cuts, which brings me to my first lesson:
1. Measure, measure again, then measure again, then stop for a minute and look at what you’re about to do, and measure again.
There’s one piece of board ruined. At that point I weighed my options, and decided it might be a better idea to just make straight easy cuts and use rosette blocks in each corner (which Brad had originally suggested in the store, but I declined). Of course, that required another trip to Home Depot, so off I went for trip #2. They only had two blocks left, so I had to drive down to Lowe’s to find four in the correct size.
Back at home, we finished off all the cuts (after some trial and error, realizing that the saw wasn’t set exactly to 0 degrees, thus making slightly crooked cuts), and we migrated to the office to try and figure out how to adhere the map to the wall. It was currently secured by eight tacks, and Brad suggested using hot glue on the edges. We had nothing else, so hot glue it was. This seemed to work okay, until we somehow ended up with air bubbles once it was all sealed. Too late now… maybe the trim will cover it?
We worked our way around the map, starting from one edge to the other, using the nail gun to secure the trim into the wall. We used hot glue on the rosettes as not to damage them with the nails (since we couldn’t get them flush against the trim due to the divets). That worked fine. Somewhere along the way we realized either the trim or the map was crooked, because the border was not even along the edges. But at this point we had given up and were rushing just to get done. (Sorry, this is why there are limited pictures of the actual construction).
At this point, Brad went and partied while I stayed and caulked every edge and re-painted everything. For our very first miter saw/nail gun project, I’ll say it was only slightly disastrous. Here’s the finished result:
Here’s the edge detail up close:
Building a Coat Rack
|I later fixed this edge with sanding, caulk and spackle|
|I filled and smoothed this edge, too|
ee it at all: