I’m back with some DIY details from the pantry project!
But first, I wanted to share a little snippet of our last weekend. We took a road trip with some friends to Savannah for the 3-day weekend (our second time there, we went for our anniversary two years ago) and had so much fun. The best fried seafood and drinks (chocolate daiquiris from Wet Willy’s… omg.) and entertainment and stores and architecture and history. Love this city. Next time we’ll keep driving for a couple more hours and stop in Charleston—heard it was a must-see!
I booked a “haunted pub crawl” called Boos & Brews for Saturday night. We stopped at the local (haunted) bars and were guided around the streets and cemeteries with real ghost stories—for the record, I don’t believe any of it but it’s fun when you’re drinking 😉
Here we are getting ready to leave the first pub!
Here’s one of the old haunted houses:
For our last stop, we went to the Moon River Brewery (which has been on Ghost Hunter shows) and they took us up into the attic where the ghost/orb sightings are common…
I didn’t capture anything on my camera, but for whatever reason the spirits were posing for Brad’s. He caught “orbs” in a bunch of his photos… like this one:
And check it out… we zoomed into this photo and look what we found:
See the face? Just below the white spot? Looks like some old guy with a mustache looking straight at you. Creepy. (ok, not really, but it would be if it was real).
Anyway, enough with the ghost stories. Let’s get to the pantry!
DIY Project #1: No Sew Curtains
As you may remember, I purchased 2.5 yards of this fabric on Etsy for $18.
I didn’t bother trimming the width—it’s a bit wider than the door opening but it really doesn’t matter since it will probably always be pulled open.
The first step was just to hem all of the edges, using Stitch Witchery:
They have this stuff in pretty much any craft store, and different brands make it.
I had quite a bit leftover from old projects so I didn’t need to purchase any (yet).
(sorry, bad iPhone photos ahead)
All you need is an ironing board, iron, damp rags and your stitch witchery. No photos of this part but you just lay a strip down, fold your fabric over, place a damp (thin) rag on top and hold your iron on the area for several seconds. I also use the steam setting to help keep it from sticking to the rag.
Once all the edges were hemmed, I measured the height I needed the curtain to be and folded it over to hem a pocket for the rod.
Except I completely didn’t think it through and made it just big enough for the rod to fit in…
Which was a huge problem because a) the ends of the rod didn’t fit inside the fabric loop, b) it was so tight that the fabric wouldn’t freely move to one end of the rod, c) I had already cut the excess fabric after this photo was taken, and d) I ran out of stitch witchery.
I was too flustered to take photos of the damage at this point so I ripped the stitch witchery out and decided to run to Michaels’ in the morning to buy some more and try to salvage this project.
So Sunday morning I started fresh, and ended up having to hem the piece I cut off back together to get my length back…
Then I hemmed a new rod pocket—this time leaving PLENTY of room.
Luckily, it worked.
For the rod, I just picked up a cheap $5 shower rod at Walmart. It holds up just fine.