Alright, let’s try this beam reveal thing again! Shortly after last week’s post, my dad came by and we were able to finish the job. Here’s how it all started…
Most of you remember our DIY kitchen ceiling beams, right?
We loved the way those turned out so we just repeated the process here—which means I won’t go into extreme detail (you can check out the post above for more info).
With the layout of the master bedroom the way it is, I decided three beams would make most sense. One in the center and the other two up against each wardrobe. There was no wood long enough to make it across the whole room (~15 feet) so each beam had to have two parts, just like in the kitchen.
I ended up buying 24 pieces of wood—12 1x6x8’s and 12 1x4x8’s (enough for six beam sections, each one with 4 pieces of wood).
I used regular whitewood pine to save money and just picked the straightest ones I could (this part is crucial). I also grabbed a few thin strips of metal to make into straps, and the total came to around $140 (we only ended up using one metal strip so I’ll get $20 of that back once I return the extra two).
Once all the boards were here, I cut them all to half the length of the room (78″) and set aside six of the 1×4’s to use as the ceiling strips (they will be completely hidden).
For the visible boards, I used a hammer to distress them.
Pine is soft and distresses nice and easy.
Then I stained them using a dark walnut stain.
After letting them dry overnight, it was time to begin installation. I recruited my dad for this one.
First, we marked where the left beam would go against the wardrobe…