Master Makeover: DIY Map Chart, Antlers & Chair Reupholstery

Today I’m sharing a few quick and easy projects I completed this weekend while wrapping up the final details in our master makeover.

Project #1: Hanging Map Chart.
I’ve always loved these vintage school charts and thought it would be fun to recreate one…
During a trip to NYC last year, I found this amazing letterpress/stationery shop selling beautiful old posters and picked up a vintage reproduction map of France for less than $8(!). I wasn’t sure where I’d put it until the master bedroom started coming together, and thought it’d be perfect on this narrow wall between the bathroom and closet doors:
So I gathered my supplies, which included two wood dowels from Joann’s for around 80 cents each (which I cut to 20″ and stained dark walnut), some twine and hot glue (any strong glue will work).
I centered the dowel along the bottom, ran a bead of glue on the paper, and pressed them together firmly:
For the top, I tied my twine on either end and trimmed the excess…
Then glued it to the top. Took all of 3 minutes.
And I think it looks pretty authentic.
It just adds a little something to break up that plain wall of doors and no color.
When we remodel the bathroom, the doors and that whole wall will be reconfigured, but for now I am enjoying the simplicity of it.
Total project cost: $10
Alright… project 2: Chair reupholstery.
If you can remember back to a couple weeks ago, I picked up this antique chair at our local flea market for $5:
It makes for a sweet little accent next to the dresser. But it needed a seat, of course.
First I sanded it down a bit and applied a dark walnut stain (mixed with a hint of gray):
To make the template, I flipped the chair upside down on a piece of poster paper and traced along the inside as best as I could:
There’s a decent sized lip on the inside, so I drew around the circle around 1/2″ or so, and cut it out. Then I traced that circle onto a piece of plywood.
I cut the plywood with a jigsaw and set it down for a test fit…
Good enough. It would be covered with foam, batting and fabric so it didn’t matter that it wasn’t 100% perfect.
I have a bunch of leftover foam and batting from our kitchen bench seats, so I used that along with a steak knife to trim it to size:
Then I flipped it over and stapled the batting onto the back.
I picked up a 1/2 yard of solid navy fabric at Joann’s for a couple bucks…
This part proved difficult since it was a round surface and pretty much impossible to avoid visible folds. I just did the best I could and used a ton of staples to try and flatten it out.
It just adds more character, right?
To attach it to the chair, I flipped them both over and drove a couple screws through from underneath.
Ta-da. Susie gives it the seal of approval.
I think this navy ticking stripe pillow works quite well with it.
Total project cost: $7.
Okay… project 3: DIY Antler Plaque.
I scored a few old antlers at the flea market earlier this year in hopes of mounting two of them on a plaque (I think they were just a few dollars each—our flea market is the bomb).
I thought our paneled wall needed something to take some of the focus off the TV and liked the idea of adding another rustic element, so antlers it is.
A $2 wood plaque from Joann’s, stain and a couple screws were all that was needed for this…
After staining the plaque dark walnut, I placed one antler in the approximate position I wanted it to be mounted and made a small mark underneath where the screw would be inserted.
Then I found a couple screws that were the right size, grabbed the appropriate sized drill bit, and made my hole:
I thought the bone would be really hard to drill into but surprisingly it went right through. Maybe because these antlers are older and less dense?
After drilling into both antlers, I did the same on the plaque:
Then from the back I inserted the screw partially, placed the antler on it and finished driving the screw in until it pulled it tight:
Easier than I thought!
Finally, I added a sawtooth hanger on the back to mount it.
And here it is.
Total project cost: $8.
And there you have it… 3 projects for a total of $25. Gotta love bargain shopping + DIY’ing.
And that’s all you get until the reveal 😉
Over the next few days I’ll be working on organizing the inside of my wardrobe/vanity area, which of course I’m super excited about. Check back Thursday for the details!

13 thoughts on “Master Makeover: DIY Map Chart, Antlers & Chair Reupholstery

  1. Oh, I LOVE the map! I planned something like your DIY as well (because the original ones are much too expensive…), but I haven't found a great print of an old map yet… But one day I will have a map on my walls 😉

  2. I love all of them, but the map art is my favorite. I still can't get over your dresser. Swoon! Hope to score a curvy one on Craigslist soon.

  3. I enjoy your blog so much. You projects look amazing. Thanks so much for sharing the map art tutorial. I've had my eye on a few from Etsy. So glad to know I can achieve the look for a lot less.

  4. So jealous of all your flea market bargains! I really like how the chair turned out. I have an old school map just waiting for inspiration to strike as far as where to hang it goes, so maybe I'll look a little harder after this.

  5. It's fun seeing these smaller projects that add to the flavor of the space. Love the rustic touches! I also am smitten with that dresser and how it turned out, after the frustrating process you endured. All's well that ends well ! Joss and Main recently featured some pieces like this for some pretty steep prices. Keep up the good work. I always look forward to the days you post a reveal.

  6. Wow! It’s really great idea to make this beautiful map holder at our home. I love all the projects that you have shared with us. Thanks for sharing such creativity.

Comments are closed.